Wednesday, January 17, 2024

The Complete Little Stories for Bedtime by Thornton W. Burgess. Year 1. 1912.

 


In honor of Thornton W. Burgess's 150th birthday, I've uploaded a collection of his newspaper stories from February 5 to December 31, 1912, the first year of the "Little Stories for Bedtime" feature. I've also included illustrations, when available (they are of mixed quality) and some annotations, particularly with respect to places these stories were republished.

Many of these stories will be familiar to readers of his books but many will be brand new. Publishing them in their original order also means restoring the original continuity, which would effectively last until story 15,000 in 1960. The numbering and dating of these stories are best guesses. It is possible that there are missing stories, and I've included one such candidate (unnumbered) in the collection. 

At any rate, I will continue this publication project, aiming for one release a month, during the TWB 150th celebration. 

[UPDATE: I've uploaded an expanded and corrected edition of the 1912 book that includes three new appendices, a revised introduction, and an index. And spell-checked.]

2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! The compilation itself would be an amazing resource, but you've gone above and beyond by including commentary in the intro and annotations. I look forward to future releases!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I actually pulled much of the annotation I'd planned just to get it out on time. But if I have a chance, there is an expanded edition (with an index) on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete